See the belly sticking out?
Too short and arms too tight.
First, I cut off the dress just below the waistline (this had a high waist or I would have cut above the waistline to make the finished product plenty long).
Off come the sleeves--since they are too tight anyway.
Snagged a little more of the dress material to sew into the sides of the shirt so the finished dress would not be too tight.
Cutting seams out of the sides of the shirt.
Pinning the pieces from the dress into the sides of shirt (these were a little long...I trimmed them later).
I took the original sleeves of the dress and created a little cap sleeve ruffle with them. I was afraid this part would not turn out well at all, but I liked it when I was finished.
Sewing on the cap sleeve.
Sewing down the sides.
Sewing the shirt and skirt together. (just turn one or the other inside out, and put the other piece right side out inside of the inside out piece--adding gathers where needed to make them fit together right--and sew together, then turn right side out.) I also added a neck ruffle and trim, but forgot to take pictures of the process.
Finished product! The ruffles look a bit off to me, and I wound up trimming a bit more off her sleeve ruffles after this picture was taken, but you can see--she loves it!
Not sure why she is winking, but I thought it was cute, and you can see a bit more of the pieces I added in on the sides.
Well, there it is, my first tutorial. Hope I didn't butcher too badly what I was trying to say/show. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and thanks for coming along for the (bumpy) ride today! (Also, check back often as I am planning to attempt to make 3 items per week and blog about each--totally wish I had time for a project a day...just not happening right now lol!)
Here are the places I am linking up today: